Sellout or Normal Human being?

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Alright, I promise to keep this one short. I was watching the Green Day Music video of their cover of John Lennon's "Working Class Hero." Great video, used to promote and gain support to stop the Genocide in Darfur, which is, without a doubt, a very worthy cause, if not the greatest in my mind. But I made a mistake: I scrolled down to check out the comments. Yeah, as most may know YouTube's comments are close to the bottom of the barrel, right next to 4chan. Most were useless "awesome" "cool vid" ones. One hit me though. Let me just give it to you verbatim just as BronzeEleven said it;

"It's ironic as Hell these millionaire capitalistic corporate sell outs would even SUGGEST that they are, represent or even appreciate the 'working class'."
Ok, let that sink in.... Now let me clear this up real fast: bands don't sell out; they become more popular and in business terms, you'd say they are offered a promotion, and like you or any other person offered more money and power doing something they love, they accept. So it's not selling out it's...well, being good. Ok, Ok, no more on that part. Now on to the more pressing matter: this "person" is mad that a high-profile band is using their high-visibility and ability to reach millions as a way to raise awareness for a worthy cause. So BronzeEleven, what I'm trying to say is: You're silly and short-sighted and you are probably one of those music snobs that stops listening to their favorite band once they sign to a major label. You're the worst of music fans.

Alright, that was shorter I think, enjoy and check out Save Darfur

Also the here's the video:


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Good point, but when does using your high visibility for worthy causes vs using it to increase visibility. The only reason big companies like WalMart donate to charities is to not only show that they care, which they obviously don't, but for the tax right offs.